3/1/07

Hem Up Baby

s you may know from viewing various spring/summer designer collections, it is not hard to see that the hem is quickly rising on everything. From dresses to shorts, skanky is the new stylish. But in a fabulous and tasteful way. I am pleased of this trend. I've always been one to like short skirts, and shorts. Not because I wear it to be sexy or for attention, I just always thought they were fun and cut. And when it's sweltering hot outside, their as good as it's going to get.
The cherry to this cake of a trend, is the shoes. The short mini dresses or short shorts look is great with a fabulous pair of pumps, heels or wedges. And for all of you who say wedges are out, you need to take a better look at things.

Not all of us feel comfortable showing skin and that's fine. Or you may simply not want to because you don't have the body. But don't feel like you can't wear it because of this, we're not all 86 pound models. Here are some ways you can change it up, or give the appearance of a slimmer look.

1. Shoes-The trend does go with the shoe. Which is basically anything with a heel (pump, wedge, etc...) Shoes with heels define the leg, which will give a slimmer look. So right there your leg looks thinner. You shouldn't feel obligated though to only wear a pump or whatever, a great flat or sandal would be great as well. (steve madden pump below)

2. Shorts- Most mini dresses are multi-functional. You can pair them up with some shorts underneath. Whether they are short shorts are bermuda shorts (which are still in fashion) you can still look fantabulous. Wear some pants if you prefer too, you just may sizzle in the summer sun. (juicy couture shorts below)

3. Tights/Leggings- Although leggings may be too hot, you can wear some colored/printed tights underneath your dress if you wanna show less skin.

4. Fuck It- Just go and strut your stuff the way it is. Maybe do some sports or some exercise to get a nice toned body for summer. It's never too late. (go to seventeen.com for some exercise tips and videos)

17 comments:

Alison said...

I'm very much in love<3 with the short hems of the season, I just wish I had the legs to pull it off :P
need. to. get. toned.

Unknown said...

Lets get some shoes. Some nide coloured shoes, they make your legs look longer according to O magazine. Shoes.

Unknown said...

nude coloured.

Emma said...

awesome post.
think i'll go do gym-type stuff so i'll look better for mini season. or, ahem, at least be able to buy a mini for mini season.

ChloƩ said...

steve madden is my god

Greentea said...

I love the short hems because being a rather short person minis and heels just make me look that much taller.

Tru said...

I'm excited for this trend....I really wnat to buy some nice new pairs of shorts

Gort said...

Love it darlin. The dresses are sex, I love the shoes, love the tights, it's just the matter of getting toned. Uggghh... exercise. Whatver I'm skinny anyway.

ps. I don't hate black and purple together.

maya said...

i love the shoes so much. this is a really good post.

What's Haute said...

love the minidresses

Ella Gregory said...

great post.
i love wearing minis, and the chloe dress is my dream mini.

molly said...

oooh GOOD
i loooooooooove miniskirts

discotheque confusion said...

love the rising hemlines.

Hoorah!

and I rather like it with massively high chunky heels ala Chloe.

Shame I'm minus the finances, but I'm also rather tall anyway, and don't fancy myself as a giant!

S xx

Model Citzen said...

I loved this post! I'm so excited about the short hemlines. It seems like every single woman running around NYC last season looked like a gypsy. I love tights and minis. Can't wait.

mareGa said...

Love the mini dresses. Can't wait to rock one!.

FIFI LAPIN said...

i've linked you, hope you don't mind...

Fashion Critic said...

I still can not believe Britney worn that Prada dress and killed it for anyone who owns that dress.